History or comments
Formally named B’nai Israel, the historic wooden shul is constructed in Carpenter Gothic style.
“B’nai Israel Synagogue is a historic synagogue on NY 52 in Woodbourne, Town of Fallsburg, Sullivan County, New York. The first rabbi of the synagogue was David Isaac Godlin (1868-1943). It was built in 1920 and is a two story building above a shallow concrete basement. It is a wood frame structure, three bays wide by four bays deep and surmounted by a steep gable roof with deep wooden cornice.
In the Spring of 2010 Rabbi Mordechai Jungreis, Rebbe of the Nikolsburg Hasidic dynasty, renovated the synagogue and was appointed Rabbi of the synagogue. Rabbi Jungreis, who has a synagogue in the Borough Park neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY has attracted a large following of Jews, specifically teenagers and young adults. Minyanim take place there all day long, shachrit, mincha, maariv from early morning to past mid night. The synagogue is to be used during the summer months, from Memorial day to Labor Day when Sullivan County sees a large influx of Jewish vacationers.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.”
Due to the warm and dynamic personality of Rabbi Jungreis summer attendance at the shul has skyrocketed. During the summer of 2015 more than 80,000 people visited B’nai Israel while the previous three summers averaged attendance of over 50,000. This is remarkable in community that had dwindled to only 45 mostly senior citizens by 2009. In front of the shul stands a large menorah with a sign that says “Everyone is Welcome”. With sincere warmth the Rebbe has made that motto a reality.
One of few remaining synagogues constructed of wood, B’nai Israel is an architectural style known as Carpenter Gothic.