History or comments
A large, urban synagogue located in the Shalom Park district of South Charlotte. As one of six synagogues in Charlotte, it serves more than 650 member families.
Quoted from Wikipedia:
“With the great wave of immigration of Jews from Eastern Europe occurring in the late 19th century, new settlers came to Charlotte. This group also was deeply religious and brought with them their own customs and attitudes. In September 1895, these new citizens organized the first formal Jewish congregation of the city of Charlotte. This congregation was the forerunner of what is now Temple Israel. They called themselves Agudath Achim, Hebrew United Brotherhood. The group was headed by Harris Miller, Benjamin Silverstein, and Mr. C. Lubin.
By 1915, now ‘Temple Israel’ had constructed its first building and the number of families grew to more than 100. Two minyans existed at the Temple, one Orthodox and one Conservative. Eventually, the younger members persuaded the congregation to adopt a stance of worship leading more toward ‘Conservatism.’ This gave way to mixed seating and more use of English in the service. .
By 1949, Temple Israel had outgrown its building on Seventh Street and relocated to the Dilworth neighborhood of South Charlotte. By 1955, Temple Israel boasted the largest membership of any Jewish congregation in the Carolinas with more than 350 member families. In 1985, the synagogue adopted an egalitarian policy for worship, granting women full rights at services to read from the Torah, lead song, and lead prayer.
In 1991, Temple Israel broke ground in Shalom Park of South Charlotte and began construction on its current building. Year 1992 marked the completion of the congregation’s third new building.” Architects Dellinger and Lee designed the remarkable synagogue. One of its most prominent features are the stained glass windows depicting the biblical narrative from the Creation to the entry into the Promised land.
Shalom Park is a 54-acre campus which serves as the center of Jewish life in greater Charlotte. Temple Israel, Temple Beth El, the Levine Jewish Community Center, Jewish Federation of Greater Charlotte, Jewish Family Services, Temple Israel Religious School, Temple Beth El Religious School, Consolidated High School of Jewish Studies, Charlotte Jewish Preschool, Charlotte Jewish Day School, Levine-Sklut Judaic Library & Resource Center, and the Charlotte Jewish News are located on the campus.