History or comments
A congregation with an inspiring history of growth and service as well as inspiring sanctuary architecture.
Congregation Shalom is a Reform Jewish Congregation, representing a liberal interpretation of Judaism, building upon the bedrock of stability established by its founders in 1951. Although it is a relatively young congregation, its growth and importance to the community it serves have continued unabated since its inception.
1951 North Shore Temple founded by 14 families
1951 The Name “Shalom” selected
1952 Membership 102 families
1955 Sanctuary and classrooms dedicated
1955 Membership at 339 families
1964 475 families … 600 students in religious school
1966 Building expansion
1968 526 families
1973 575 families
1978 Sanctuary renovation
1990 900 families
1990 Building expansion – renovation 1992 Harry & Rose Samson sanctuary, Elder Education Center, David Klurfeld Memorial Hall completed.
1997 1000 families
2006 Ungar-Schick Portico dedicated
2012 Pillar of Fire & Pillar of Cloub exterior sculpture built & installed
2012 Membership reaches 1,046 family units by year end
The congregation’s continual growth both in membership and physical plant have been accompanied by growth in human resources to carry on its programming. Congregation Shalom fulfills its mission through religious services, education of the young and its many social action programs, which include Mitzvah Day, the preparation and serving of food at community pantries, and through our partnership with other non- profit organizations. Throughout the year, Friday evening Shabbat is enhanced with special musical guests, family services, and distinguished lecturers. The synagogue also holds a daily minyan in the afternoon for those seeking daily worship.