History or comments
The curved wooden roof over the sanctuary swoops skyward, evoking the Tent of Meeting.
Originally Beth El was formed on the North Side of Minneapolis as a Conservative alternative to the Orthodox synagogues existing at that time. By 1968, Beth El, like the other North Side synagogues moved to suburban St. Louis Park. Architect Bertram Bassuk (1918 – 1996), who designed many noteworthy synagogues, was commissioned to design the new building.
Dedicated in 1968, the curved wooden roof over the sanctuary swoops skyward, evoking the Tent of Meeting, the portable sanctuary in which the ancient Israelites carried the Ark of the Covenant. A major expansion of the building, designed by Miller Dunwiddle Architecture, was completed in 2012. A thriving congregation now numbering over 1400 families enjoys the use of this architecturally exciting building.